Monday, January 02, 2012

the goodbye girl

i watched two movies on saturday over my cousins house
i thought i would talk about my favorite of the two 
{both were great, just one was less.. heartbreaking}


if i were to be totally honest, {when am i not?} i would say that i was a little reluctant to watch it. old movies always have a bit of a stigma to me {...boring} and each time one is suggested, i try to choose the newest one. and yet every time i watch one {i.e. an affair to remember, philidelphia story - really anything with jimmy stewart} i am left impressed and entertained.

i think its time to realize, i love old movies. i just don't know as much about them as some people would {eh em.. madeleline - the girl who said "assume i have seen everything by neil simon!" when i texted her "tell me you have seen the goodbye girl"} - but one thing is for sure. movies today are not the same in comparison  

anyways. the goodbye girl. with marsha mason and richard dreyfuss 
{who won best actor for this role, the internet is a wonderful place} 

its just perfect. their relationship is incredibly entertaining and charming and fast paced {really fast paced conversation, which i ADORE} the 10 year old daughter in the movie is hilarious and quirky.

but my favorite lines in the movie {they may or may not be all elliots}:
- What is it about you that makes a man with a hundred forty-seven I.Q. feel like a dribbling idiot?
- If you were a Broadway musical, people would be humming your face. 
- It was the Super Bowl of romance. 
- Haven't we met? In our apartment? 
You know, of all the right up front girls I know, you are the right up frontest.


and my favorite mother daughter scene:
Paula McFadden: [angrily] Good night.
Lucy McFadden: What, no kiss?
Paula McFadden: [punching her pillow] I'm angry. I don't want to lose it. 



so anyways, what are you waiting for?! go rent it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment